Sciatica Treatment & Nerve Pain Relief in New York
At Performance Health in NYC and Pearl River, we’re experts at treating sciatica (sciatic nerve pain). Our physicians, including sports medicine doctors, physical therapists, and pain management specialists, can provide a wide range of sciatica treatment and pain relief options. Learn more about sciatica and our treatments below, or request an appointment using the form on this page. Our specialists can help relieve your sciatic nerve pain today.
What is sciatica?
The sciatic nerve, which runs from your lower back down to your buttocks and legs, is sometimes affected when a patient suffers from a back injury, such as spinal stenosis or disc herniation. These spinal injuries can cause a pinched nerve or extreme pressure on the nerve. When this occurs, it can cause a radiating pain, tingling, or numbness that travels through the lower back and down one or both of your legs. The medical term for this kind of pain is sciatica, which is commonly referenced as a symptom of spinal injuries.
What causes sciatica?
Sciatic nerve pain is most commonly caused by a spinal injury, namely lumbar disc herniation, which causes one of the spinal discs to protrude from the spine and put pressure on the sciatic nerve. This causes the nerve to inflame and produces a radiating pain and tingling down the nerve route. Other conditions that can cause a person to feel nerve pain, tingling, or numbness associated with sciatica include:
- Pinched nerves
- Slipped discs
- Muscle spasms
- Lumbar spinal stenosis
- Degenerative disc disease
What are the symptoms of sciatica?
Sciatica pain is characterized by any pain, tingling or weakness along the sciatic nerve. For this reason, sciatica symptoms can vary greatly from patient to patient, but may include any of the following:
- Lower back pain
- Pain that radiates from the lower back to the legs or buttocks
- Muscle weakness
- Tingling or “electric shock” feeling through back and legs
- Back pain when coughing or sneezing
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, consult the physicians at Performance Health for sciatica treatment and pain relief.
What are the risk factors for sciatica?
Sciatica can occur in anyone of any age, but may be more likely to affect you if any of the below risk factors apply to you:
- Age – Those who are between ages 30 and 50 have a higher likelihood of suffering from sciatica.
- Weight – Being overweight or obese can increase the amount of pressure on your spine and put you at risk of suffering from sciatica.
- Health conditions – Some conditions, namely diabetes, can cause nerve damage that can result in sciatica back pain.
- Occupation – People working in jobs that require heavy lifting or sitting for long periods of time are more inclined to suffer from sciatica back pain.
How is sciatica diagnosed?
At Performance Health, your back pain can be diagnosed during a short consultation with one of our physicians. Usually, sciatica and the underlying reason for your back pain can be diagnosed during a short in-office consultation with one of our physicians. The consultation may include a physical exam, discussion of your symptoms and pain level, and diagnostic testing when needed.
What are some sciatica treatment options?
Performance Health offers a number of non-surgical treatment options for nerve pain related to sciatica. Sciatica pain treatment options include:
- Physical therapy and myofascial release
- Sports medicine and rehabilitation
- Pain management
- Massage therapy
- Regenerative and alternative medicine
Schedule a Consultation
If you are suffering from lower back pain, the first step to improving your health and returning to your normal activities is to schedule an evaluation at Performance Health. Our physicians are experts in sciatica pain relief and can help you return to performance-level health. Call one of our New York offices at 212.486.8616, or fill out the form on this page to request an appointment now.