ACL Tear / Injury Treatment in New York
What is an ACL injury?
An ACL injury – or an anterior cruciate ligament injury – occurs when the major ligament between your thighbone and shinbone is torn, usually due to participating in sports that involve sudden changes in direction or high speeds and sudden stops. The most common activities that lead to ACL tears include basketball and soccer but can also include other high-impact sports. This type of injury is usually painful and debilitating, requiring extensive rehabilitation and recovery time.
At Performance Health in NYC and Pearl River, our team of board-certified physicians and specialists provides a wide range of treatments for ACL injuries. Learn more about ACL tears and our ACL injury treatment options below or request an appointment using the form on this page.
What causes an ACL tear?
An injury to the ACL band in the knee is usually the product of fitness activities and sports that put extreme pressure on the joint. Sports that cause the most ACL tears include the following:
During these sports, one of the below actions usually triggers the ACL tear:
- Suddenly stopping
- Quickly changing directions
- Pivoting on the ball of your foot
- Jumping and incorrectly landing
- Hitting the knee or leg directly (football tackle or soccer slide)
What are the symptoms of a torn ACL?
Symptoms that indicate an ACL tear and may warrant a visit to Performance Health for a consultation include any of the following:
- Severe knee pain
- Knee “gives out” when walking or putting weight on it
- Inability to walk or put pressure on knee
- “Pop” in knee during injury
- Knee swelling within a couple hours of injury
- Inability to move leg in full range of motion
What are the risk factors for an ACL tear?
An ACL tear can happen to anyone, but the following situations can increase your chances of suffering from this condition:
- Gender – Women are more likely than men to suffer from a torn ACL.
- Jumping technique – Athletes who land with improper jumping techniques have a much higher risk of injury.
- Muscle structure – The way your knee and surrounding muscles are structured may increase your risk of knee injury.
How is an ACL tear diagnosed?
At Performance Health, your knee injury is evaluated by one of our experienced doctors, who will compare your injured knee to your uninjured knee, as well as ask you questions and have you move the knee to assess your range of motion. When necessary, the following additional diagnostic tests may also be needed to help diagnose a torn ACL:
- MRI scan
How is an ACL injury treated?
The following conservative treatment options may be used for a torn ACL when possible:
- Compression therapy
- Elevating the joint
When needed, the following additional ACL tear treatment options may be used to help the ACL fully recover:
- Physical therapy and myofascial release
- Pain management
- Sports medicine and rehabilitation
- Massage therapy
- Regenerative and alternative medicine
In severe cases, you may be recommended to a surgeon for ACL reconstruction / ACL surgery.
If you are suffering from knee pain, the first step to improving your health and returning to your normal activities is to schedule an evaluation at Performance Health. Our physicians are experts in foot and knee injuries and can help you get back to performance-level health. Call one of our New York offices at 212.486.8616, or fill out the form on this page to request an appointment now.